Friday 5 April 2013

Smoked Cod Chowder

Chowder

I do not know how many different types of  Chowder recipes do exist, probably the same amount as for stews and goulash, I have eaten so many different ones, depending in what country I was in. In France, Spain and Italy your  proper Fish stew or soup contains alot of shelfish and particularly in Italy lots of small squid ( which I came to dislike!). The French are particularly proud of their Boullabaise. If you get a good home made one, it is a dish made in heaven. Don't eat the other one!!!!
The One I liked best and ate every time I was in Dublin, years ago, was on the menu in a Fish Restaurant in Powers Court. I do not know if it still exist. They just used white fish and smoked fish, no salmon, and no mussels. Perfect for my taste buds.
Anyway a few weeks I was in the English Market buying fish in O'Connell's and I was offered smoked Cod, which they had smoked themselves. It did not take a lot of convincing me and instead of just buying some fresh haddock, I ended up buying the smoked cod as well. Why? It smelled delicious.
I knew exactly what I was going to make out of it.

Ingredients

Use the recipe for the vegetable soup and add more Parsley and/or fresh dill just before serving.

400 g smoked cod ( make sure the cod is properly smoked) cut into cubes
                              (If you prefer less smoked taste then use
                                200 g fresh cod or haddock
                                200 g smoked cod)

Method

1. Use the recipe for vegetable soup and simmer for 20 min. You can change the quantities but make sure you have at least 3 medium potatoes
2. Then add the cubed fish and simmer gently for  further 5 min.
3. Adjust seasoning.

Note: 

If you prefer a more creamy taste, you  puree the vegetables before you add the fish and add half a cup of cream

No comments:

Post a Comment

looking forward to your comment